Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Waiting isn't fun..Watching can be!

Well, Now that I live here, I've converted all three of my vehicles to Florida Tags, got my drivers licence so it was only a matter of time till I actually would NEED to have a Florida bank, While I love both my Bank and my Credit Union, they're both local to Colorado, or atleas the Bank is more a West Coast bank. Although-they are taking over Wachovia-apparently not soon enough.
There is a bank right as you turn in to head to my apartment entrance, Bank of America. I decided that would be the bank of choice, it's close and that was pretty much the reason for my choice, logical I thought. I walk in with a check in my hand, ready to open an account. I go to the "new accounts" sign and ask to open a new account. The lady tells me to sign in, I look at the ledger, and above the blankness that would soon be my name, the name prior had been crossed off, so I am thinking, Wooo! I will be next, how easy. I started my journey purposley at 2pm to avoid the "rush" after all, it is a Wednesday, its not the end of the month, I should be in and out right? WRONG.
The lady then tells me to have a seat, I walk through the entry way just to see about ten people sitting there, I take a seat, attempt to pull out the current book I am reading "My Horizontal Life-A Collection of One Night Stands" By Chelsea Handler (Chelsea Lately) Now, Living in Florida I'm used to the "older people" no big deal, But instead of waiting and reading I get a little irritated. I am bringing MY money and business to this bank, why should I have to wait on them? I know you have to wait, but at 2pm and there are only maybe 2 new account reps working and the rest of the people are standing around doing who knows what? I wait about ten minuets, and decide that Bank of America is not fit for my "needs" and venture on to the next bank! But not before first scratching my name off the list! While I wasn't investing a fortune, I believe that it was important that I received more of a personal approach since I do have a choice of who holds my money.
While I was sitting at a stop light patiently waiting to turn into the chase parking lot I was watching traffic and what else was going on out side, and officer had pulled into the parking lot I was waiting to turn into, he had stopped and talked to a man walking along who looked like he might work for a cell phone carrier. I guessed this by what he was wearing, very "cell phone" like attire. The man was carrying a half of a gallon of what I can only guess was Tea, and here, it would have HAD to be sweet tea, which I thought would be odd to carry around, granted it was hot. But would a gallon of whatever-it-was really stay cold enough to make it to where he was going? I know this isn't the point of the story, but it still crossed my mind.
After watching that mini series unfold, I see a man walking across the street and I kind of studied him, what he was wearing and all..
There are a few things a man can wear that will make me melt on the spot, One of course is a Military uniform, soooo hot. Whoa. The second, however, is a business suit. I love a man in a nice tailored jacket, matching slacks, a bold shirt and tie, and of course coordinating shoes. Now, if worn together can bring me weak in the knees. There is usually only ONE flaw that I come across and it happened JUST as my eyes followed him down the cross walk. WHITE SOCKS! Ugh, White socks? Really? I wondered if he always wore white socks with dress pants? This couldn't be his laundry day! I'm sure he was a white sock guy, which is perfectly fine. UNLESS you are wearing a suit, then you need to conform to the black sock dress guy! This guy had to be single, I know when I dated a "suit" (well "slacks" is better cuz there wasn't an entire outfit worn with it) I know I gave him a rashion of shit about it, I think it looks tacky. I had to assume, that this guy didn't have the "help" in the fashion department, and of course made me realise how much socks can really ruin the "suit" look for me.


I proceeded on to Chase to open an account. Walked in, there is a desk, where someone should greet you and ask you how they can help you right? Well, there is the desk, and no one is there to greet me. I have to go to the teller's line, there are 2 tellers, and both are helping other people. Now, I'm already on edge, aside from white-sock entertainment, I am still a little sour at the Bank of America waiting issue. Teller #1 is helping what I can only describe as Joe Dirt. Seems like a hardworking man, who is a little more hillbilly than the rest of us, and that's fine. But I grew a tad annoyed with him going over "pending" transactions and what he spent at Home Depot and why his Daughter needed this or that, and how he needed to make sure what was in his account before he took another trip to-I stopped listening at this point and just started getting a little annoyed. Now, When you walk into the "teller" line there are 3 desks, and a separate office/area over to the back left for drive up customers. There were already a few tellers back there working the drive thru, now why teller #2 felt the need to run back and forth as she was working the drive thru is beyond me. But every second that goes on, the more impatient I am getting. Finally #2 asks if she can help me. I tell her I need to open a new account. She THEN directs me back to the "ghost desk" to again sign in and the lady that does new accounts will be "Right There" she says. I go to the "ghost desk" a little upset again, no one is there, sign in, and wait. It feels like a good five minuets, which I'm sure isn't horrible, but there is NO ONE in this bank, why do I need to wait? I tell my self a few more moments and I am flying out of this bank and off to whatever is next! The woman comes out, starts talking to me about the checking accounts they offer and the rewards on their debit cards. I'm going to spend my money on a debit card no matter what, I might as well get points and rewards for it. I look into the options. Start opening my account, hand over the check, and while I knew they would put a hold on it, its a 5 business day hold, which holds all but $500 until Thursday the 24th. Which I'm sure is standard, I just wanted them to allow a little more than that. Oh well. On to the perks and the reward cards..


They offer a Travel card. I got excited. Travel? I LOVE to Travel, I seem to do it all the time, so If I can get points for money I already spend, and THEN use it to Travel..life is starting to sound sweet. So they offer either Continental Airlines, or United, I think I've maybe-maaaaybe flown Continental once? If that, so I check into United. Its 1 point for ever $2 you spend. I think, okay, I can work with that. Then I ask how many points you have to earn to cash in for a ticket. For United its 15,000-20,000 points. I do the math, and quickly think that after spending $10,000 THEN I get a ticket to go somewhere? Really? 10k and then I get magic ticket? What is the benefit of that? I can get a ticket to most of the places I go now for $200 and be done with it, 10k vs $200..yea, I opted for NO travel option. I did however take the "upgraded debit card" and get 4 points for every$1 I spend. Which I can get all sorts of other things with, Sounds like a better deal to me. Oh, and I get 2500 points on any card with the first purchase, which would still sucked to have travel "perks" but, I'm happy with the card I have coming to me...that is until my friend told me Bank of America prints Debit cards on the spot and I could have had a card right then and there. Oh well, I'll wait till Friday and then go shopping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment