Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Friday, September 25, 2009

One of the Seven Natural Wonders of The World!!

I can officially check off Niagara Falls from my "To See/Do" list!

After sleeping in for what felt like forever, we headed to the falls this morning. Its about 20 miles from where we're staying. We get there, park the car, and head out to the walk way. The sound you hear with the water rushing over the edge is just amazing. I thought the Ocean was magical to hear the waves crashing up against the beach, pfft. This takes the cake. It will take your breath away, its so beautiful, the water is so clear, its like a color I've never seen before. I've seen Blue-blues and Green-greens, but this some how falls in the middle. The weather was cool and perfect, It reminds me of Colorado life, Crisp cool fall days rock!

I am excited to use the new camera today, little nervous since I've only got one shot to make it right. Who knows when and or if I will be back to see this. I start snapping pictures, different angles, not so much different settings, rolling with the "landscape" mode, seems the safest and is turning out pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I left the baby Nikon camera at the hotel, I don't even want to bother bringing two, let alone wasting the good pictures on a 6.1mp vs a 15.1mp!
It was weird to see the boarder of the US & Canada, like it was RIGHT there, its on a bridge, that crosses the Niagara river, on on side there is the US Boarder and then the other side is the Canada boarder, Just cool to actually see it, you know?
There are 2 main falls, The American Falls, and the Horse Shoe Falls. We take pictures for an hour or so, go to the observation deck which sits pretty high up on the river, and you're able to see right to the Horse Shoe falls, well, you're able to see the spray from it. hell you can see the Spray from the first bridge over the Niagara river. Its crazy, I saw it driving in last night, and you can see it about 500 feet in the air!
We take the boat to the falls, and we get the little blue ponchos and board the vessel. I thought we took awesome pictures from up above, but man, once you're on the water and can look up to the American falls its so amazing. I was just in Awe of it. I tried to snap as many pictures as I could, and you're getting sprayed off the falls so I'm trying to keep the lens clear of water. You can see so many rainbows from the boat, its beautiful. There is a separate fall off the American falls, there are people standing under it, in a fenced area, just getting drenched, I shivered for them. They're crazy! Its about sixty-degrees in New York today, and that water feels cold. I can't imagine getting soaked from it, and then having to walk up stairs forever to get to the car, Ick!
We head into the Horse Shoe falls, and the spray is just over whelming, the boat is a-rockin and its hard enough to see the HS falls with the amount of spray, let alone trying to focus a camera and snap pictures. We did what we could. My friend took video of it, which was awesome to watch after wards, I'm going to steal the footage from him. I've never really seen the point in video cameras unless you have kids, but here it really turned out to be a good thing. Granted his point and shoot does video, but still. Cool!
We then walk up along side of the falls where there is a stair case, not where the crazy people are, that's on the other side of the falls. We snapped some pictures, and head out to the gift store, where I didn't find anything that I had to have, few cool things. I saw this tie-dyed blanket, but it said "Maid of the Mist" which is the boat, and I wanted more authentic Niagara Falls stuff. Plus the blanket was $35 and while I love blankets, a cool fleece one does the trick for me anyways.
From where we parked it was $10 to park, and that got us into Niagara State Park as well, where you can get closer to the Horse Shoe falls. Well, you can get close, but since you're standing next to it, you can't see the whole thing. The best view is from the Canada side, but my friend doesn't have a passport so Canada is out. Which totally sucked, the needle is over there, all the high-tower places are over there, killer views. Man, Canada has all the cool stuff!
I was more impressed by the American Falls, since you can see it clearer, and there is less spray, the HS falls is unique too!
I took well over 500 pictures, in day one, of new camera. I didn't think I took that many, felt like 100, but hell, I'd rather take too many, and not enough, since I can always erase the ones I don't like or what not, I can't make more images if I didn't take enough the first time around.
We went to Dinner at Chili's and it took forever, slow service, and I was tired, Planned on seeing a movie like we normally do on Friday nights, movie was at 9:50 came back here about 8:40 to check on the dogs. I put them in the bathroom before we left, Man, they were so excited to see me. I go to let them out, and see that Bella (I know it was her, she's the smarter of the 2) had gone potty in the bathtub. I was so proud of her. I think its like that moment that your child goes potty in the big-kid toilet. Granted I have no idea how that feels, and this could totally be a fluke, but regardless I was a proud mamma.
I laid down to watch tv, and was out. Woke up at 10:10 and missed the movie. My friend was tired too, its 11:49 now, and he is snoooooooooring. So its okay we missed the movie, we can catch it any other time.
So, that's it for our Niagara/Buffalo stay, Tomorrow, I believe we're headed to Boston for a day or two, then off to NYC. I'd like to see Boston, and its not too far away from here, plus we're trying to avoid NYC on the weekend so it doesn't get crazy! I have a ton of things I want to see & do in NYC. I've been dying to go there for a few years!

0 comments:

Post a Comment